Monday, August 2, 2010

Bring me the Horizon

No, this is not in reference to the hardcore band (pictured here). Rather, it is the cliche metaphor for the future, the next phase, tomorrow, etc. On August 22nd, I will be moving to Boulder, Colorado. People keep asking me, "what are you going to do there." Well, my answer is an honest one "I am going to live my life." I am going to have the time of my life. Why Boulder? That's an easy one. The terrain and community make it one of the best places not only in the country, but in fact, in the world, to pursue an active, outdoor life style. And that, my friend, is exactly what I want to pursue.

Who knows what will or will not happen out there, but the potential for achieving incredible happiness and purpose in life is endless in a place like Boulder. It is paradise. Swimming, biking, running, hiking are all absolutely incredible. Why else would so many world-class athletes train there? I will be an incredibly small fish in a gigantic pond (ocean?), not even a blip on the radar screen, but that is fine. Perhaps my training endeavors will allow me to achieve my dream, and wiggle my way into the neo-pro ranks. If this is to happen, living and training in Boulder will be a huge factor. But even if that does not happen for me, the process is what I truly enjoy. There is no feeling quite like the one that you get after a six hour bike ride, or a long run on the trails. It's pure bliss, pure happiness (when you get over the exhaustion and soreness). Where better to feel this happiness than Boulder?

Even in an injury-riddled racing season, filled with disappointing results, I cannot fathom the idea of giving up. So I'm going to Boulder. Why the hell not? I love Rochester, and I will miss it dearly. I will miss my friends so much. But it's time for an adventure. Let's go have some fun and chase some dreams. I can feel that thin mountain air already. I can see the mountains. Let's do it. Bring me the Horizon.

1 comment:

  1. Rochester will always be here...BEST OF LUCK! I know you will do well. I might have to get out there and do some hill slaying with you some day. -Brendan

    ReplyDelete