Monday, September 21, 2009

Beginning with the end: Finger Lakes Triathlon Race Report

For my inaugural blog post, I plan to give a detailed account of the last race of the season. It makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Not to worry, I will make thrilling posts referring to past events somewhere down the line. Until then, let us concern ourselves with Sunday's event: the Finger Lakes Triathlon in Canandaigua, NY.

Pre-race
It was pretty painful when that damn alarm clock started unearthing that ungodly noise at 4:15. Let me tell you a little something about 4:15... nobody is supposed to be awake at 4:15. Maybe fishermen or milkmen. But in any case, it is just unpleasant. Darker than midnight outside, and cold as winter. I slipped into autopilot mode, snarfed down a couple bowls of Frosted Flakes (I LOVE those), and packed up the car with Dad. Before we left, I made sure to shoot some nose spray up my nose to clear the sinuses... I got sick this week along with at least half of my U of R Co-eds. However, I felt pretty good before the race (aside from not really being able to breathe through the nose).
It was pretty awesome when we were driving down there and it was 38 degrees. Luckily (thank God), it would warm up before the race, at least enough to not freeze.
Registration went smoothly. Warm-up went well. The sun finally decided to show its beautiful face. I felt confident, and was ready to rock. "They cannot beat you. You are going to obliterate the field."

The Swim
It was pretty sweet when they announced that our "swim warm up time" would be from 7:15 until 7:20. Are you kidding me? Anyway, it took me approximately 10 minutes to walk from transition to the swim start area, because there were about 12 million people trying to do the same thing. As a result, the swim warm-up did not happen. But hey, worse things have happened, so I did some arm circles and smiled. For some reason the young (under 24 year old) men were starting in the 4th wave, so we had to wait around for 12 minutes after wave one took off. By the time it was our turn, I was more than ready to get this damn thing going. I went out nice and easy as to not blow up (no warm-up, remember). I tried to keep it nice and smooth. When I got to the far buoy, I started catching those who started in previous waves. Luckily, and somewhat uncharacteristically, I did not have to clobber anyone too hard, and nobody hit me. Most people just seemed to be afraid of me, and got out of my way. That's how it should be, eh? I would be just fine if I never got kicked in the face during a swim again. Anyhow, I got out of the water with the day's 4th fastest swim time.

T1
Uneventful.

The Bike
Dino time!! A challenging yet not outlandish bike course allowed me to use my strength to shoot past those who started ahead of me. I hit the rhythm, and my legs felt pretty lively. I was the second person into T2. That is I passed everybody that started in the waves before me (except for one guy), who had a minimum of a 4 minute lead on me. 58:24 bike split. I love the bike.

T2
I had the fastest Transition 2 time! That's a first. I really made sure to take my time in the Transitions, based on the fact that I have not worked on them for a very very long time. Who would have thought it, eh?

The Run
Ah, the hard part! I was nervous about the run, considering that I have no run training in me. After the broken toe this summer, I was unable to run for 6 weeks, and that basically set me back to level one. For the past two or three weeks, I have been attempting to re-introduce my body to running, but the most I have been running is about 4 miles at a very slow pace. SO, having to run 10K as hard as possible, after a swim and bike, was not something that would come easily. All things considered, I felt pretty decent. I ran down the only individual who was in front me of, and just sort of cruised. Things got very tough after 5 miles, but I knew I just had to gut out one more. It was pretty apparent after about 5K that I was going to win, and I was getting chills just thinking about being able to cross the line with my arms in the air. 6:25 pace is not fast. Not fast at all, and it will not get the job done where I am going. But I'm happy with it, considering I have not been running.



The Win does not make up for the season that could have been, but it was a great way to close out the season. Next year I will be much faster, and I will be targeting some bigger races. More on that to come in future posts. I am outrageously sore right now, but after the inflammation dies down, it will be back to work. The 2010 season starts next week. Fear the Dinosaur.



FYI: The dude who sprints past me in the finish line video was in the sprint distance race. He did not care to let me have my moment. Oh well. And the last 5 seconds or so of the video are supposed to be me dancing, but for some reason you cannot see any movement. Do not be concerned.

2 comments:

  1. nice work!!! that's an awesome win after getting sick and recovering from the toe! if they don't fear the dino, THEY JUST DON'T KNOW!!! go get em! -brendan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job man. Very glad to see you end your season on such a strong note! Keep up the good work.
    -Chris Mateer

    ReplyDelete